Meniere's Australia (MA)
Meniere’s Australia (MA) is a national non-profit, non-government organisation that aims to promote and facilitate the development of Australia-wide services and support for those living with Meniere’s disease and other vestibular conditions. Meniere's disease is a chronic, incurable condition of the inner ear that produces a range of debilitating side-effects in affected individuals.
Meniere’s Australia offers a national forum for health professionals, individuals experiencing Meniere's and other vestibular conditions, funding bodies and interested individuals to share information and resources. We welcome your involvement & support (see Membership).
The Vision of Meniere’s Australia is that all Australians with Meniere’s disease and other vestibular disorders will receive and have equal access to support services, information and personal support irrespective of geographical location.
At MA we aim to provide a high level of community support for people who have Meniere’s disease and other vestibular conditions by:
- collecting and distributing information
- raising the awareness of doctors and other medical professionals to the problems experienced by people with Meniere’s disease
- increasing public awareness of Meniere’s disease
- encouraging research into more effective treatment and a cure
- providing the opportunity for members, their families and friends to meet in a supportive atmosphere
The Objects of the Organisation are to:
- Actively assist sufferers of Meniere's disease and other Vestibular Disorders and their families
- Actively assist health professionals to understand the effects of Meniere's disease and other Vestibular Disorders on the individual and the family
- Facilitate the circulation, development, sharing and exchange of relevant research and resources about Meniere's disease and other Vestibular Disorders
- Access national, state an dlocal sources of funding
- Establish a national body comprising:
(i) Individuals with Meniere's Disease and other Vestibular Disorders;
(ii) Professionals with an interest and knowledge of Meniere's Disease and other Vestibular Disorders
(iii) Research and educational bodies and supporters;
- Establish a national profile for Meniere's Disease and other Vestibular Disorders
- Increase the profile and knowledge of Meniere's disease and other Vestibular Disorders throughout Australia
- Raise public awareness of Meniere's disease and other Vestibular Disorders and their effects on the lives of people;and
- Co-operate with other national and international organisations sharing similar objectives and activities to achieve these Objects.
MA was formed by the Meniere’s Support Groups of NSW and Victoria, coming together to establish a national Meniere’s support service for all Australians living with Meniere’s disease and other vestibular conditions.
The Meniere’s Resource and Information Centre
As part of our ongoing efforts to gather and disseminate information on Meniere's disease, the Meniere’s Resource and Information Centre maintains an extensive collection of information resources on Meniere’s Disease and related topics.
If you have Meniere’s, you may find such information an invaluable aid to understanding and managing your condition. Carers, families, friends and medical professionals may also find our information resources helpful. Our free information packs provide a good starting point for finding out more about Meniere's.
If you are an MA member you can borrow resources from our library. If you can't come into the Resource Centre we can post materials out to you. We also offer a complimentary membership pack of information resources if you choose to join MA.
Our Resource Centre also has a large selection of resources available for purchase. The Catalogue section of our site contains a catalogue of selected resources from our Centre, and order forms for purchasing them by post. MA members are entitled to a discount on some catalogue items.